Thursday, April 26, 2012

barely use pig for sale!!!

Craig sent me this via surfapig@live.com: 
Hello Mike,
I am selling my pig and Mary (Surf Sister) told me to ask you if you could post it on your blog. I've seen your blog for a while now and really enjoy it. Bummed that I missed the last San O pig luau, but hope to make this years event on Sunday. 

Anyway... I have been shaping for about 7 years now (when I turned 51 I put shaping on my 'bucket list' after being in the shaping room since the 70's to watch my boards being shaped by others) and have since made all types of boards, from Mini Simmons & short-boards to mid lengths and longboards. 
I have found that what I do best is mid lengths and longboards - because that's what I ride.  I am a dedicated Sacred Craft attendee and always pick the brains of as many people as possible. Shaping is not what I do for a living, I do it for myself and some friends because I love it. The satisfaction of riding something you've made is incredible. The people I look up to are incredible craftsman like Tyler Hatzikian and Gene Cooper as well as others.

So the story of the Pig I am selling... I was at Ocean Park and see this old board on a guys car and asked him about it. It was a 1960's Con Surfboards Pig. The shape was fantastic. So I made arrangements to see him again and make a template of the board. I made two boards. One that he bought and one for me. I have ridden it about a dozen times and although he rips on his, I just haven't got the knack for that style of surfing. So it's either going to become a wall hanger because it's so beautiful, or I have to sell it so I can make another with some tweeks to fit in more with the way I surf.

It is in perfect condition. Scale from 1 to 10, it's a 9.95.  It's 9'1", red panels top and bottom, black band all the way around, glassed leash loop (in case you need it) and glassed on red D fin form Larry Alison.  I'm asking $600 for it.
If it can be posted that would be great.  I've attached a photo of the two Pigs I made, the red one is for sale. Please let me know what you think and if it's possible to put on the blog.

Thanks,
Craig Ferré

email craig: surfking53@yahoo.com

1 comment: